Position: Child Protection Expert
Location: Division of International Protection/Child Protection Unit, Geneva, Switzerland
Duration: Jan-Dec 2013 (12 months)
Deadline: 30 November 2012
General Background of Assignment:
The Child Protection Unit, Pillar II, in UNHCR’s Division of International Protection is seeking a Child Protection Expert . The Unit provides technical assistance to UNHCR field operations, and develops global guidance on child protection.
In June 2012, UNHCR launched a global Protection Framework for Children, which provides a strategic direction for UNHCR. The framework is based on a child protection systems approach. This comprehensive strategy sets clear and benchmarked goals which will help UNHCR operations to methodically apply the systems approach, gauge progress and measure success. These initiatives, along with other on-going initiatives require robust expert support for effective roll out and implementation.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The overall purpose of this position is to support the effective operational roll-out of the Protection Framework for children. This also entails provision of support and innovation to advancing UNHCR Global Strategic priorities in relation to children, namely birth registration, implementation of the best interest procedures and provision of targeted interventions for adolescents. As a global position, there is an expectation that the expert is capable of providing support and assistance to emergency operations as well as in protracted situations, in both industrialized and developing countries.
The Expert will work under the supervision of the Senior Adviser (Children).
Specifically, the objectives of the assignment are as follows:
Support the roll-out of the UNHCR global protection strategy for children, and the implementation of a child protection systems approach, through:
• Support for the development of and implementation of country level child protection strategies and programmatic content in target countries;
• Support the establishment of mechanisms to oversee the implementation of country level strategies in collaboration with the respective regional Bureaus and regional Hubs/Offices;
• Provide technical advice and support to country operations on the application of policies in relation to the protection of children of concern to UNHCR.
As a team member of the Child Protection Unit, assist in implementation of UNHCR protection approaches and strategy in relation to children, through:
• Ownership of and contribution to the effective and timely implementation of the Child Protection Unit work plan.
• Review and input to UNHCR new or revised operational tools and processes to ensure compatibility with overall protection approaches and strategy relating to the protection of children;
• Responding to routine queries from HQ and field on child protection as needed;
• Collaboration with the Regional Bureaux, monitoring and reporting on the implementation of special child protection programmes funded by the US BPRM.
• Field missions, possibly also emergency missions, as needed to support the implementation of above activities.
Strengthen overall evidence base related to protection of children of concern to UNHCR:
• Coordinate and assist in the monitoring and analysis of FOCUS (UNHCR planning and reporting tool) indicators on child protection;
• Analysis of information on protection of children available in FOCUS and the Standards and Indicators report;
• Support and advice field level data collection/assessment initiatives related to protection of children.
Promote organizational capacity-building in relation to protection of children:
• Deliver child protection training and develop learning material;
• Support development of quick reference briefing notes for field operations as needed;
• Collect, document and systematize child protection good practices;
• Coordinate the deployment of child protection staff from stand-by partners.
• Advanced university degree in Social Studies or Social work, development studies, anthropology, psychology, law or human rights or a related technical field.
• Min. 3-6 years of professional work experience in child protection or work with vulnerable groups.
• Professional experience should include field experience with a particular focus on child protection; unaccompanied and separated children, best interest procedures, child protection capacity building, or protection and assistance of asylum-seeking, refugee or displaced children.
• Previous field experience with UNHCR is highly desirable.
• Familiarity with the latest tools, guidance and discourse in the inter-agency arena of child protection.
• Excellent analytical skills and writing skills.
• Demonstrated skills in strategy design and implementation
• Good facilitating and training skills.
• Demonstrated skills in monitoring and evaluation, information/knowledge management.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; proficiency in French or other UN Language is an advantage.
• Ability to work independently and achieve quality results with limited supervision.
Send applications with an updated cv to [email protected] . Please indicate: “Child Protection Expert” in the subject line. Please name 3 references who can be contacted for further information. Deadline for applications is 30 November 2012.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a phone interview.
For further information, please contact Monika Sandvik-Nylund, Senior Adviser (Children) [email protected] using the same above subject line.