Mental Health in Complex Emergencies 2012
September 30 – October 6 2012, Geneva
The 2012 Mental Health in Complex Emergencies course is a collaborative course organized by the Center for International Humanitarian Cooperation (CIHC), the Institute of International Humanitarian Affairs at Fordham University (New York) and the international nongovernmental organisation HealthNet TPO. This certificate course in is a 7-day training course for mental health professionals and program staff who wish to establish mental health or psychosocial programs in complex emergencies and humanitarian settings.
The curriculum will be based on earlier successful courses in Nairobi, New York, Geneva, Kampala and London. The course aims to provide a practical orientation and training, to equip mental health professionals to establish and organize programs in the mental health and psychosocial domains and strengthen adjunct applicable skills for use in complex humanitarian emergency and relief situations, including conflict, post conflict and disaster settings.
Who should apply
Applicants should have a background in either mental health or social work or a relevant professional background that allows for future engagement in mental health or psychosocial programs in complex emergencies or previous experience in humanitarian settings, ideally in mental health or psychosocial programs.
The course will be held in: the Ecumenical Institute, Chateau de Bossey in Geneva, Switzerland.
September 30 – October 6 2012
• Peter Ventevogel, MD, (Mental health adviser, HealthNet TPO and Editor in Chief of Intervention, ‘the International Journal of Mental Health, Psychosocial Work and Counselling in Areas of Armed Conflict’, War Trauma Foundation)
• Brendan Cahill (Executive Director, Institute of International Humanitarian Affairs, Fordham University
Faculty (to be confirmed)
• Wilma Doedens, MD (Technical advisor for UNFPA)
• Larry Hollingworth (Humanitarian Programs Director for the Center for International Health and Cooperation (CIHC) and Visiting Professor of Humanitarian Studies at the Institute of International Humanitarian Affairs of Fordham University in New York)
• Mark J. Jordans, PhD (Head of Research, HealthNet TPO; Honorary Senior Lecturer, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
• Jessica Gorham (Global Gender Based Violence coordinator for the Inter-Agency Standing Committee’s Protection Cluster)
• Lynne Jones, OBE MRCPsych., PhD, (FXB Center for Health and Human Rights, Harvard University)
• Wietse Tol, PhD (Assistant Professor, Department of Mental Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Senior advisor with HealthNet TPO)
• Willem van de Put (External Director, HealthNet TPO)
• Mark van Ommeren, PhD (Scientist, Coordinator Mental Health in Emergencies, World Health Organization, Geneva)
• Plus: Faculty Fordham University, New York (to be confirmed)
International Programs Coordinator
Institute of International Humanitarian Cooperation
33 West 60th St. Suite 804
New York, NY 10023
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +1 212 636 7646
Fax: +1 212 636 7060