Job Type Internship
Job Status Sourcing
Date Posted Tuesday, 06 November 2012
Start Date January 13, 2013
Company Information Africa and Middle East Refugee Assistance – AMERA- Egypt, Building 79 street 104, Hadayek Elmaadi, Cairo, 11711
Deadline: 5th December 2012
The Legal Advisor Internship is a position of 7.5 months’ duration. Legal Advisors are assigned to work in the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Team and are responsible for representing individual RSD cases before the UNHCR in Cairo at the first instance, appeal and reopening stages. Legal Advisors manage their own caseload of clients, interviewing, taking statements, writing legal arguments and accompanying clients to interviews at UNHCR. Legal Advisors are expected to work full-time (35 hours per week) and to be present in AMERA offices from 10am to 5pm.
Selected interns will be expected to begin on 13th January 2013 in order to participate in a two-week intensive training programme.
This is an unpaid position.
· Undertake comprehensive screening of clients at all levels – first instance, appeal and closed file – to assess refugee claim and determine if full legal representation is appropriate.
· Provide legal advice where full legal representation is not appropriate.
· Provide full legal representation where appropriate at first instance, appeal, closed file, cancellation and cessation stages. At any given time the Legal Advisor’s caseload should not be fewer than five active clients. Functions related to representation of RSD cases include (but are not limited to) the following:
o Preparation of written statements
o Drafting of legal arguments/submissions
o Obtaining of documents to support client cases such as expert reports, witness statements, etc.
o Preparation of clients for RSD interviews at UNHCR
o Accompaniment of clients to RSD interviews at UNHCR
o Taking of detailed transcripts of RSD interview proceedings
o Follow-up on the status of client cases with the UNHCR
· Undertake country of origin research to support individual claims as well as for general organizational research purposes; maintain knowledge of current political and social situations in the countries of origin of AMERA’s clients.
· Maintain knowledge of UNHCR guidelines, processes and procedures.
· Assess extra-legal client needs and refer to other teams or organizations.
· Undertake comprehensive case management practices including maintaining electronic database records for each client and keeping detailed notes of all case work activities.
· Participate in ongoing training activities and supervision.
· Attend and contribute to weekly staff and RSD team meetings.
· Adhere to Nairobi Code of Ethics and to the AMERA Office Manual.
· Contribute to the formulation of team policy and procedures and strategic planning as required.
· In coordination with team leadership, assist with broader advocacy efforts as requested by collecting case data, writing reports, briefings, articles and case profiles.
· Provide training to new Legal Advisors and other AMERA staff on legal issues as required.
Two weeks of intensive training in the full range of law, policy, practice and skills needed to successfully advocate for refugees. This is followed by continuing close supervision and support, including review of legal writing, by experienced refugee advocates for the period of the internship in a fun and challenging environment.
• English being the official language of the UNHCR Cairo as well as AMERA, the Legal Advisor intern must be fluent in both oral and written English. Arabic is an advantage.
• A Bachelor\’s degree in law or an LLM or JD is preferred, but other Master\’s degrees or equivalent experience in a related field are also acceptable.
• A background in law and/or experience working in human rights and/or with refugees and asylum seekers.
• Ability to prepare high-quality statements and legal submissions to be submitted to UNHCR.
• A positive attitude and sensitive manner when dealing with clients including a range of interviewing skills for dealing with challenging scenarios.
• A mature work ethic.
• Ability to organize, multi-task and prioritize workload in order to adequately meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment while working with limited resources.
Highest finished education University
How to Apply
To apply, please email the following documents to [email protected]:
1) A cover letter (in English)
2) A complete CV
3) An unedited writing sample, and
4) Names and contact details of two references
**Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted**
Email Resume To [email protected]