Job title: Technical Advisor
Unit/Department/Delegation: The IFRC Reference Centre for Psychosocial Support, Copenhagen, Denmark
Starting date: October 2012
Reports to: Head of PS Centre in Copenhagen
The Federation Reference Centre for Psychosocial Support (PS Centre) is part of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. The PS Centre assists National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies around the world with capacity building of psychosocial support in areas which have been affected by natural and health disasters and in areas with armed conflict. The PS Centre does not work directly with the affected population but rather assists the National Societies by training staff and volunteers.
The Centre aims to improve psychosocial well-being through operational assistance, capacity development of National Societies, competence development of staff and volunteers, knowledge generation and knowledge sharing, and communication and advocacy.
Purpose of the position
The purpose of the position of Technical Adviser is to strengthen technical support to National Societies, the Zone and Regional Offices and the Federation Secretariat. The Technical Advisor will:
1. Participate in knowledge projects regarding crisis management and community-based psychosocial support, and the development of manuals and guidelines,
2. Plan and carry out trainings, mainly internationally, and facilitate capacity building activities
3. Provide technical assistance and act as knowledge broker in the areas of psychosocial programme design, implementation and monitoring and evaluation.
4. Support, undertake and engage in relevant meetings and networks to promote knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Key tasks and responsibilities
• Participate in, lead and manage innovation, research and learning projects
• Develop manuals and guidelines
• Assist partners in responding to emergencies and planning psychosocial programmes, e.g. input to proposals, TOR and assessments
• Carry out and/or provide input to assessments, baselines studies and evaluations of community-based psychosocial programmes
• Undertake quality control of community-based psychosocial programmes and emergency interventions, including the Psychosocial Emergency Response Unit component.
• Develop methodologies and data collection techniques for assessments, indicators, programme management, evaluations
• Co-operate with partners to develop training materials, tools and best practices and successfully implement workshops and capacity building initiatives
• Liaise and interact with colleagues in Federation Secretariat, Zone and Regional Offices for continued presence and visibility of psychosocial support, e.g. relevant training, advocacy opportunities and funding opportunities
• Participate in meetings and networks
• Provide input to funding opportunities identified by colleagues
• Ensure information management of research, guidelines and manuals etc.
• Undertake resource mobilizing activities
• Ad hoc tasks and other tasks necessary for the running of the Centre
• Demonstrated technical expertise in psychosocial crisis management and support in different international humanitarian contexts including psychotraumatology, disaster management, recovery, public health and social welfare
• Well-developed text writing skills
• Strong training and/or facilitation skills
• Extensive knowledge of monitoring and evaluations systems and approaches
• Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and persuasively, including the ability to advocate for and explain difficult psychosocial issues
• Advanced knowledge of written and spoken English and preferably one other official language of the Federation
• Proficiency in a Scandinavian language preferred
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office pack, especially concerning communication
• Relevant educational background in psychology, anthropology, disaster management, health in emergencies or social sciences.
• Minimum 5 (five) years of relevant work experience
• Practical field experience in crisis management, disaster or development contexts
• Practical experience in training and/or facilitation of groups
• Experience in programme design, implementation and M&E
• Experience in conducting field-based baseline assessments
• Experience in international networking and knowledge management
• Work experience with Red Cross and Crescent Movement, other international organisations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies
• Able to manage many tasks simultaneously
• Excellent communication and listening skills
• Good team-worker
• Strong writing abilities and analytical skills
• Organized and structured regarding working tasks
• Able to meet deadlines and prioritize work load
• Proactive and have the desire to learn and build professional expertise
• Able to focus on results and long-term aims
• Able to work both independently and in teams
• Stand for and work in accordance with the Red Cross Red Crescent principles.
• Interested in and able to take on a heavy travel schedule
Education/Qualifications Required Preferred
Relevant degree X
Relevant professional training courses (Red Cross/ Red Crescent related, Federation courses, humanitarian and development sector, management, etc.) X
Experience Required Preferred
Minimum 5 years work experience with Red Cross and Crescent Movement X
Experience in disaster or development contexts X
Practical experience in training and/or facilitation of groups X
Experience in programme design, implementation and M&E X
Experience in conducting field-based assessments X
Experience in international networking and knowledge management X
Skills/Knowledge Required Preferred
Highly organized and structured X
Strong skills in written and oral English; knowledge of another Federation working language X
Excellent communication and listening skill X
Able to meet deadlines and multi-task x
Ability to work efficiently under pressure x
Good team-worker x
Danish Red Cross is the legal employer and duty station will be Copenhagen. The assignment is to commence October 1st, 2012 or as soon as possible.
Salary level and benefits will be in accordance with the Danish Red Cross’ Staff Agreement with AC/HK. The position is classified between DKK 38.000 and 41.500 per month incl. pension, and according to qualifications and experience
Hiring manager’s name: Nana Wiedemann, Head of International Federation Psychosocial Centre
Further information please contact;
Louise Kryger at +45 3525 9329 / firstname.lastname@example.org or
Nana Wiedemann +45 3525 9359 email@example.com
Application and CV in English are accepted only through our online recruitment system, easycruit. Please go to http://www.rodekors.dk/job and click “International Udvikling”. Only motivated applications will be accepted.
Extended deadline for submission of application is 24th October 2012.
Applications submitted before the initial deadline will be kept and considered on equal terms with all other applications for this position.
Interviews are expected to be held on 5th and 6th November 2012.